We recently put in a feature on the trunk to put in ident strings in the 3 OMPI libraries.

Short version:
--------------

We use "#ident foo" for GNU, but it emits a stderr warning that it's a GCC extension when used with -pedantic (we check that #ident works in configure). Does anyone care? Should we add an option to disable #ident for GNU compilers?

Longer version:

configure checks for 2 things:

1. Does "#pragma ident <foo>" work
2. Does "#ident <foo>" work

If either of these work (in order), they are used. If neither work, a static const char[] is used. This feature was added as part of the "branding" strategy, and also to help Sun with debugging because they have a handy command (ident(1)? I don't remember offhand) that will look for the #pragma ident in a library and print it out. Good for support issues.

However, the GNU compilers support #ident but apparently print a stderr warning about it when -pedantic is used (which we automatically enable for debugging builds via --enable-picky).

Does anyone care? Should we put in an option to turn off #ident for the GNU compilers (perhaps only when -pedantic is used)?

I ask because a few people have noticed the new output on stderr and asked me about it, so I figured I'd raise the "does anyone care?" flag...