MPI_Type_size is supposed to return only the size of useful data, which apparently it does (MPI_SHORT_INT is 6 bytes). What I think it happens is that the MPI_SHORT_INT type is a predefined one, but it's a really strange predefined type. It's one of the few that are not contiguous. The problem seems to come from the fact that the MPI_File_write do a contiguous write for the predefined data types, making the assumption that they are all contiguous.

I tracked the problem down in the romio/adio/common/is_contig.c file. For Open MPI the last #else branch is used. The first case in the switch check for the MPI_COMBINER_NAMED (which is what an MPI is supposed to return for predefined data types) and set the flag to 1 (which means contiguous). This is obviously wrong for MPI_SHORT_INT. It really look like a ROMIO problem, so I guess this email should be redirected to their mailing list.

  Thanks,
    george.