LZO looks cool, but it's unfortunately GPL (Open MPI is BSD).  Bummer.

On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Roland Dreier wrote:
Based on some discussion on this list, I integrated a zlib-based compression ability into ORTE. Since the launch message sent to the orteds and the modex between the application procs are the only places where messages of any size
are sent, I only implemented compression for those two exchanges.

I have found virtually no benefit to the compression. Essentially, the overhead consumed in compression/decompressing the messages pretty much balances out any transmission time differences. However, I could only test this for 64 nodes, 8ppn, so perhaps there is some benefit at larger sizes.

A faster compression library might change the balance... eg LZO
(http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo) might be worth a look although
I'm not an expert on all the compression libraries that are out there.

- R.