We had a good discussion this earlier today about Mercurial. Here's the conclusions we came to:

- We're a little nervous about the current state of Mercurial support tools; they seem a little immature at this point (e.g., the Trac Mercurial plugin is kinda weak). As such, it seems like waiting for a little while before converting seems like a good idea.

- In the interim, we'll do two things (specific details TBD):

1. Setup a read-only Mercurial mirror of the OMPI SVN repository. The general idea is that this could be an "official" Mercurial repo that is a) updated on a regular/automated basis (e.g., every hour or better), and b) is available for read-only to the world. Commits still have to go through SVN.

2. Setup an official way for OMPI core members to publish and collaborate on their own Mercurial repositories, probably similar to what is currently available on http://www.open-mpi.org/hg/. This would allow OMPI core members to publish their own "/tmp-public" HG repositories.

The idea is to get actual, practical experience with Mercurial and be able to take advantage of some of the distributed / branching+merging functionality of Mercurial, build up concrete lists of what we like/ don't like about Mercurial, etc.