For those of you who do not use and/or are not interested in the platform file configuration system, please ignore this message.

Jeff and I have made an extension to the platform file support that might prove of interest to those of you who utilize platform files. It seemed to me that the configuration for a platform frequently also implied a specific default mca param configuration as well. However, the prior implementation only allowed you to specify a configuration file for your platform - you had to then manually edit the default mca param file to get the behavior you wanted.

Our extension allows the platform file system to pickup and install an associated default mca param file. The rules for finding the file are pretty simple. Assuming your platform file is called "foo", we look in the same directory as foo for the following file (in order of precedence):

1. foo.conf

2. openmpi-mca-param.conf

The first of these to be detected is declared your platform default mca param file and is used in place of the blank openmpi-mca- param.conf file we normally supply. If we don't find either of those, we will still install the old blank one.

Note one difference in behavior. A platform default mca param file will overwrite any pre-existing default mca param file when you do a "make install". This was done to allow for updates to the platform file to be installed, and was done under the assumption that the platform file is the "gold standard". If no platform mca param file is found, the blank default file will -not- overwrite any pre-existing file, thus continuing the current behavior in that scenario.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
Ralph