Re-sending to the list because it probably bounced because Peter hadn't been able to subscribe yet...

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Peter O'Gorman" <pe...@pogma.com>
Date: September 19, 2008 5:38:46 PM EDT
To: Ralf Wildenhues <ralf.wildenh...@gmx.de>, Jeff Squyres <jsquy...@cisco.com >, de...@open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] gdb libmpi.dylib on Leopard

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello,

I asked Peter O'Gorman about this issue, and he said

| I believe that running dsymutil on the generated lib would then create a
| libfoo.dSYM in the .libs directory conatining all the necessary
| debugging information, which could be used for debugging the library in | the build tree (gdb should find it sitting there next to the original | library and use the debug information in the .dSYM). Libtool-2.2.6 does
| run dsymutil and create the .dSYM though...
|
| There should be a libmpi.dylib in a .libs directory and a
| libmpi.dylib.dSYM directory next to it.

Also, he said that it could help if you reported a bug at
<http://bugreporter.apple.com>, under the notion that the
more people file bugs with them, the more they will understand
what problems users have with the dsymutils issues.

Just to clarify - I'd like an ld option similar to GNU ld's
--whole-archive --no-whole-archive to allow loading of all memebers of
selective archives. If this option were available libtool would not need
to unpack all the members of convenience libraries (and later delete
them) and there would be no need for libtool to run dsymutil. So if you
are going to file a bug with apple, file one requesting that feature.

If this continues to be a problem, I might consider not deleting the
unpacked object files on darwin, on the theory that disk is cheap, but
I'd really rather not waste everyones disk space with multiple copies of
the same object files like that.

Jeff, I attempted to subscribe to the list to post this, but have not
yet gotten a confirmation, you may have to approve this post.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com