Not exactly - see below

On Oct 6, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

I think the real issue here is that --enable-debug (or the presence of the .svn or .hg directories) *implies* several other options, such as --enable-visibility and --enable-memchecker.

As I understand it: the user has *not* specifically asked for -- enable-visibility, but is getting a failure if it can't be delivered because --enable-debug was specified. Is that right? If so, that's downright weird -- because I configure/compile with the PGI compilers with --enable-debug and simply get a build that does not include visibility (i.e., "ompi_info | grep visibil" results in "Symbol visibility support: no") -- the configure/build does not abort.

Not quite. In this case, we specifically did include --enable- visibility so that it would be there for those compilers that support it. We didn't realize that visibility was going to be included for a debug build even if we -didn't- request it.

Additionally, I agree that if the memchecker/valgrind component cannot deliver what it should, it should disable itself silently/ without error *unless* the valgrind component was specifically requested (which, in this case, it sounds like it was not). So if we're not doing that, it's a bug.

Yes, in this case it is a bug. Shiqing is on holiday, but already contacted me about it. We'll deal with it upon his return.