Mainly because we know that the RML and OOB are not thread safe? :-)

Seriously, we know that ORTE has thread safety issues, mostly in the RML/OOB area, which is why we do not allow it to be used with threading. You are responsible for thread locking above that layer, if you intend to use threads.

Use of the progress thread is problematic as it impacts throughout ORTE, which is why we don't use it. I'm not sure we have any plans to use it at this time, but maybe some day in the future we will invest the time/effort to thread-safe the RTE.

Ralph