I think that this sounds reasonable. It's actually not too much of a change from the existing CMR process:

- if your commit is applicable to the trunk, do so
*** if you intend your commit to go to the v1.3 branch, also commit it there (potentially adjusting the patch to commit cleanly in the v1.3 staging area)
- file a CMR for the r number in the v1.3 staging area
- the release tech will merge the v1.3 staging commit to the v1.3 tree

*** is the only new step.