Pasha and I *think* we have a fix. However, we're not quite clear on this part of the code, so we need some more testing and eyes on the code.

I'll start the tests now -- given that this is a low-frequency bug, I'm going to run a slightly larger MTT run (several thousand tests) that'll take a few hours (not the ~12 hours that my MTT run took yesterday) and see if we can get reasonable confidence that we fixed it.