WHAT: Have Fortran MPI_SEND/MPI_RECV directly call the corresponding PML functions instead of the C MPI_Send/MPI_Recv

WHY: Slightly optimize the blocking send/receive in Fortran (i.e., remove a function call)

WHERE: ompi/mpi/f77/*.c -- possibly add an --enable switch to configure to enable/disable this behavior

WHEN: For OMPI v1.4

TIMEOUT: Tuesday teleconf, 17 Feb 2009

-----

Taking some inspiration from NEC MPI, it might be useful to remove an extra function call from some common Fortran MPI functions (I'm specifically proposing MPI_SEND/MPI_RECV, but others could be done as well). Specifically, instead of having the Fortran MPI_SEND/MPI_RECV call the C versions of MPI_Send/MPI_Recv, they could just do [almost] exactly the same thing as the C versions: error checking on the MPI parameters and calling the PML back-end functions.

The net performance win for this is likely very small. However, this idea has been on my to-do list for forever, so I thought I'd ask if people cared/objected.

Benefit
- Remove a function call from the critical performance path; possibly save a little latency
Drawback
- Duplicate some code (but this code rarely/never changes)
- May violate MPI profiling libraries that assume that the Fortran MPI API functions call the C MPI API functions

Granted, on the NEC platform, function calls are *VERY* expensive -- so having their Fortran MPI API functions directly call their back-end functions makes much more sense than calling the C API functions. On the OS's and platforms that OMPI supports, we'll likely see a much smaller benefit (indeed, its effects may only be visible over shared memory -- if at all). But it may be worthwhile just in the "it's the right thing to do" category.

Thoughts?