On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

I agree that it would be good to have these all be consistent. Just to be sure: are you saying you'd prefer MPI_ERR_COMM|FILE|WIN for each of these
(respectively), vs. all of them returning MPI_ERR_ARG?

Yes, I prefer the MPI_ERR_COMM|FILE|WIN if you pass the null handle to
the MPI_XXX_{get|set}_errhandler.

Ok.

Of course, remember that for
MPI_File, the rules are a bit different: MPI_FILE_NULL have to be
special-cased as it is a valid handle for this call...

Yep -- that's already handled in the code.

OTOH, if you have a valid Com/File/Win handle, but you try to set
MPI_ERRHANDLER_NULL, then in all cases we should get MPI_ERR_ARG (as
MPI does not provide a dedicated error class for signaling invalid
Errhandler handles).

Looks like we do this already.