On Mar 31, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

On Mar 31, 2009, at 3:45 AM, Sylvain Jeaugey wrote:

Sorry to continue off-topic but going to System V shm would be for me
like going back in the past.

System V shared memory used to be the main way to do shared memory on
MPICH and from my (little) experience, this was truly painful :
- Cleanup issues : does shmctl(IPC_RMID) solve _all_ cases ? (even kill
-9 ?)
 - Naming issues : shm segments identified as 32 bits key potentially
causing conflicts between applications or layers of the same application
on one node
 - Space issues : the total shm size on a system is bound to
/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax, needing admin configuration and causing conflicts
between MPI applications running on the same node

Indeed. The one saving grace here is that the cleanup issues apparently can be solved on Linux with a special flag that indicates "automatically remove this shmem when all processes attaching to it have died." That was really the impetus for [re-]investigating sysv shm. I, too, remember the sysv pain because we used it in LAM, too...

What about the other issues? I remember those being a PITA about 15 to 20 years ago, but obviously a lot could have improved in the meantime.

Iain