On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:51 AM, George Bosilca wrote:

I wonder why the mpool is so special that it doesn't inherit the logic
from the MCA base with regard to opening only the components that
match the user input?

Note the commit message:

Correctly check for the case where we didn't find the mpool that we
were looking for. This makes the openib btl fail a little more
gracefully (for example) if you specify a bogus value to
btl_openib_mpool.

The mpool does inherit the same logic for handling of "--mca mpool foo" as the other frameworks (i.e., that case would fail earlier). The patch was for mpool_base_module_create().