On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Rainer Keller <kel...@ornl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> sure like to try to explain the matters.
> The script check_unnecessary_headers.sh is not smart at all.
> It checks whether a header, if known, is required due to some content.
> It does not know about hierarchies of include files, or convenience headers
> such as bindings.h and would delete the very headers mention below from
> bindings.h.
>
> Now, only if we switch to a more sophisticated method (ctags?, munching
> gcc's
> preprocessed output?), this could be handled.
>
> My personal opinion however is, that every header and every source file
> should
> be self contained:
> It should include all the headers with symbols it needs, no less, and
> certainly not more ;-)

That's an unusual coding style - we could debate the relative pros and cons
of it for quite some time. Typically, if a body of code is going to all
require the same headers, coding efficiency would put those dependencies in
a common .h file, not explicitly copy/paste them into every individual file.

Is this a convention we adopted somewhere along the line? I don't recall
doing so. Not sure if it is a good one or not...certainly would appear to
merit some discussion before enforcing it.

FWIW: I understood you were simply going to remove unnecessary dependencies,
not enforce new coding standards. :-)