I can't find that max hostname constraint in the above commit (probably just
tired eyes). However, note that ORTE doesn't have any hostname length
constraint, so if we are now adding one to the OMPI layer, we have a
problem.

For example, in the ompi_proc_t struct, we simply point it at the ORTE name
so we avoid impacting the memory footprint by copying the hostname. Thus, it
isn't clear to me -where- we are restricting hostname lengths - can someone
point it out?

FWIQ: we routinely see hostnames much longer than 16 chars on the user list
and on many clusters here. Having such a small restriction will cause major
problems with our user base.