Hi Jeff,

Thanks for jumping in.

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:

2. Note that your solution presupposes that one MPI process can detect that the entire job is deadlocked. This is not quite correct. What exactly do you want to detect -- that one process may be imbalanced on its receives (waiting for long periods of time without doing anything), or that the entire job is deadlocked? The former may be ok -- it depends on the app. If the latter, it requires a bit more work -- e.g., if one process detects that nothing has happened for a long time, it can initiate a collective/distributed deadlock detection algorithm with all the other MPI processes in the job. Only if *all* processes agree, then you can say "this job is deadlocked, we might as well abort." IIRC, there are some 3rd party tools / libraries that do this kind of stuff...? (although it might be cool / useful to incorporate some of this technology into OMPI itself)
My approach was based on a per-process detection. Of course this does not indicate that the job is stuck, but tools like ganglia will quickly show you whether all processes are in the "sleep" state or not (maybe combined with debugging tools, to see if all are really in MPI, not blocked in an I/O or something). Then, the user or the admin can take a decision whether to abort the job or not. The "sleep" was only a way for me to bring the information to the user/admin. But as Ralph stated, a log would be even better in this case (more precise, no performance penalty, ..), also it needs to be coupled with other tools (whereas the sleep was naturally coupled with ganglia).

3. As Ralph noted, how exactly do you know when "nothing happens for a long time" is a bad thing? a) some codes are structured that way -- that they'll have no MPI activity for a long time, even if they have pending non-blocking receives pre-posted. b) are you looking within the scope of *one* MPI blocking call? I.e., if nothing happens *within the span of one blocking MPI call*, or are you looking if nothing happens across successive calls to opal_progress() (which may be few and far between after OMPI hits steady state when using non-TCP networks)? It seems like there would need to be a [thread safe] "reset" at some point -- indicating that something has happened. That either would be when something has happened, or that a blocking MPI call has exited, or ....? Need to make sure that that "reset" doesn't get expensive.
Uh. This is way more complicated than my patch. From the various reactions, it seems my RFC is misleading. I only work in opal_condition_wait(), which calls opal_progress(). The idea was only to sleep when we had been blocked in an MPI Wait (or similar) for a long time. So, we sleep only if there is no possible background computation : the MPI process is waiting, and basically doing nothing else. MPI_Test functions will never call sleep. The fact that opal_progress() did progress or not does not matter, the only question is : how long have we been in opal_condition_wait() ?

So, what I would want to do now is to replace the sleep by a message sent to the HNP indicating "I'm blocked for X minutes", then X minutes later "I'm blocked for 2X minutes", etc.

The HNP would then aggregate those messages and when every process has sent one, log "Everyone is blocked for X minutes", then (I presume) X minutes later, "Everyone is blocked for 2X minutes", etc.

I would then let users, admin or admin tools decide whether or not to abort the job.

If someone finally receives something, it should send a message to the HNP indicating that it is no longer blocked, or maybe just looking at logs should suffice to see if block times continue to increase or not.

Since I'm only working on opal_condition_wait(), deadlocks in applications using only MPI_Test calls will not be detected (but is that possible in the first place ?).

Sylvain