I appreciate the input and have captured it in the ticket. Since this
appears to be a NUMA-related issue, the lack of NUMA support in your setup
makes the test difficult to interpret.

I agree, though, that this is likely something peculiar to our particular
setup. Of primary concern is that it might be related to the relatively old
kernel (2.6.18) on these machines. There has been a lot of change since that
kernel was released, and some of those changes may be relevant to this
problem.

Unfortunately, upgrading the kernel will take persuasive argument. We are
going to try and run the reproducers on machines with more modern kernels to
see if we get different behavior.

Please feel free to follow this further on the ticket.

Thanks again!
Ralph