Jeff Squyres wrote:
[snip]
Erm -- that's weird. So when you extract the tarballs, atomic-amd64-linux.s is non-empty (as it should be), but after a failed build, it's file length 0?

Notice that during the build process, we sym link atomic-amd64-linux.s to atomic-asm.S (I see that happening in your build output as well). So if the compiler is barfing when compiling atomic-asm.S, perhaps it's also wiping out the file...? That would be darn weird, though...
[snip]

Hmm. Not a solution to the original problem, but might I suggest that any case where the build might over-write a source file is a serious problem. Two possible ways come to mind to address that: 1) Either the configure or make process might write-protect the source file at some time prior to making the symlink. 2) The make process could copy, rather than symlink, the file (w/ a dependency that would trigger a re-copy if the source file is updated).

The write-protect approach has the advantage that it would let us see a make failure at the point that something is trying (erroneously) to write/truncate the file.

-Paul

--
Paul H. Hargrove                          phhargr...@lbl.gov
Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352