Let me suggest a two-step process, then:
1. let's change the error message as this is easily done and thus can be
done now

2. I can look at how to eat the rankfile as a hostfile. This may not even be
possible - the problem is that the entire system is predicated on certain
ordering due to our framework architecture. So we get an allocation, and
then do a mapping against that allocation, filtering the allocation through
hostfiles, -host, and other options.

By the time we reach the rankfile mapper, we have already determined that we
don't have an allocation and have to abort. It is the rankfile mapper itself
that looks for the -rankfile option, so the system can have no knowledge
that someone has specified that option before that point - and thus, even if
I could parse the rankfile, I don't know it was given!

What will take time is to figure out a way to either:

(a) allow us to run the mapper even though we don't have any nodes we know
about, and allow the mapper to insert the nodes itself - without causing
non-rankfile uses to break (which could be a major feat); or

(b) have the overall system check for the rankfile option and pass it as a
hostfile as well, assuming that a hostfile wasn't also given, no RM-based
allocation exists, etc. - which breaks our abstraction rules and also opens
a possible can of worms.

Either way, I also then have to teach the hostfile parser how to realize it
is a rankfile format and convert the info in it into what we expected to
receive from a hostfile - another non-trivial problem.

I'm willing to give it a try - just trying to make clear why my response was
negative. It isn't as simple as it sounds...which is why Len and I didn't
pursue it when this was originally developed.

Ralph