Thank you for your hint. I found that prepare_src() didn't
return the correct size, i.e. it did

ompi_convertor_pack(...,&max_data);
*size = max_data;

However, after ompi_convertor_pack(), max_data == 0 thus *size == 0
and free() is called without a prior send() in pml_ob1_sendreq.c:1064

I took this order from btl_openib.c's prepare_src().
So it seems that it doesn't cause any problems there but for me it does.

Thanks for your help.
Sebastian.

Quoting George Bosilca <bosi...@eecs.utk.edu>:

Based on your code the only reason I can imagine for the second send to never be triggered is that the request is considered completed at that point.

I can't imagine how the free is called without a prior send. If I look at the code pml_ob1_sendreq.c:1061, the free is only called when the send fails, but it is always preceded by a send.

Can you check the return values of the ompi_convertor_pack and prepare_src please?

  george.