This is on Linux with a very recent kernel (2.6.30), gcc 4.3.3:

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../../../opal/include - I../../../../orte/include -I../../../../ompi/include -I../../../../ opal/mca/paffinity/linux/plpa/src/libplpa -I../../../.. -I/users/ jsquyres -g -Wall -Wundef -Wno-long-long -Wsign-compare -Wmissing- prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wcomment -pedantic -Wno-long-double - Werror-implicit-function-declaration -finline-functions -fno-strict- aliasing -pthread -fvisibility=hidden -MT opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/ opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.Tpo -c opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/ opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.o
opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c: In function ‘whatis’:
opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:73: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c: At top level:
opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:112: error: static declaration of ‘opal_installdirs_autodetect_open’ follows non-static declaration opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:29: error: previous declaration of ‘opal_installdirs_autodetect_open’ was here opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c: In function ‘opal_installdirs_autodetect_open’: opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:141: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘opal_free’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:146: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:148: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:151: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:153: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:156: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘opal_free’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:157: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘opal_free’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:161: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘opal_free’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:163: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:164: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:165: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:166: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:167: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:168: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:169: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:170: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:171: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:172: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:173: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:174: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:175: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:176: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type opal_installdirs_autodetect_component.c:177: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type