Ralph Castain wrote:

On May 4, 2010, at 3:45 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:

Is a configure-time test good enough? For example, are all Linuxes the same in this regard. That is if you built OMPI on RH and it configured in the new SysV SM will those bits actually run on other Linux systems correctly? I think Jeff had hinted to this similarly when suggesting this may need to be a runtime test.

I don't think we have ever enforced that requirement, nor am I sure the current code would meet it. We have a number of components that test for ability to build, but don't check again at run-time.

Generally, the project has followed the philosophy of "build on the system you intend to run on".

There is at least one binary distribution that does build on one linux and allows to be installed on several others. That is the reason I bring up the above. The community can make a stance that that one distribution does not matter for this case or needs to handle it on its own. In the grand scheme of things it might not matter but I wanted to at least stand up and be heard.

--td
--td

Samuel K. Gutierrez wrote:
Hi All,

New configure-time test added - thanks for the suggestion, Jeff. Update and give it a whirl.

Ethan - could you please try again? This time, I'm hoping sysv support will be disabled ;-).

Thanks!

--
Samuel K. Gutierrez
Los Alamos National Laboratory