Okay, I fixed this up for you on the devel trunk:

Ralph:ompi-trunk rhc$ orterun -n 3 -mca notifier hnp foo
Job Ralph:10628 terminated abnormally
orterun was unable to find the specified executable file, and therefore
did not launch the job.  This error was first reported for process
rank 0; it may have occurred for other processes as well.

NOTE: A common cause for this error is misspelling a orterun command
      line parameter option (remember that orterun interprets the first
      unrecognized command line token as the executable).

Node:       Ralph
Executable: foo
3 total processes failed to start

Ralph:ompi-trunk rhc$ orterun -n 3 -mca notifier hnp hostname
Ralph
Ralph
Ralph

Ralph:ompi-trunk rhc$ orterun -n 3 -mca notifier hnp -mca
notifier_threshold_severity info hostname
Ralph
Ralph
Ralph
Job Ralph:10624 complete