Sorry for the delay on this -- the issue was quite subtle and the holiday
weekend got in the way.

I have a fix that will be committed a little after 6pm US Eastern.  It seems to
allow a fresh SVN checkout (with my patch applied) to pass "make distcheck".
Hopefully we'll finally get a new trunk tarball tonight.