A few comments:

1.  Have you guys considered using hwloc for level 4-7 detection?
2. Is L2 related to L2 cache? If no then is there some other term you could use?
3.  What do you see if the process is bound to multiple cores/hyperthreads?
4.  What do you see if the process is not bound to any level 4-7 items?
5. What about L1 and L2 cache locality as some levels? (hwloc exposes these but these are also at different depths depending on the platform).

Note I am working with Jeff Squyres and Josh Hursey on some new paffinity code that uses hwloc. Though the paffinity code may not have direct relationship to hitopo the use of hwloc and standardization of what you call level 4-7 might help avoid some user confusions.

--td