Sébastien Boisvert wrote:
Le mardi 23 novembre 2010 à 16:07 -0500, Eugene Loh a écrit :

Sébastien Boisvert wrote:

Case 1: 30 MPI ranks, message size is 4096 bytes

File: mpirun-np-30-Program-4096.txt
Outcome: It hangs -- I killed the poor thing after 30 seconds or so.

4096 is rendezvous.  For eager, try 4000 or lower.

According to ompi_info, the threshold is 4096, not 4000, right ?

Right.
"btl_sm_eager_limit: Below this size, messages are sent "eagerly" --
that is, a sender attempts to write its entire message to shared buffers
without waiting for a receiver to be ready. Above this size, a sender
will only write the first part of a message, then wait for the receiver
to acknowledge its ready before continuing. Eager sends can improve
performance by decoupling senders from receivers."

source:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=sm#more-sm

It should say "Below this size or equal to this size" instead of "Below
this size" as ompi_info says. ;)

Well, I guess it should say:

If message data plus header information fits within this limit, the message is sent "eagerly"...

I guess I'll fix it.  (I suspect I wrote it in the first place.  Sigh.)