Sure, we can do this.  Open MPI's support of various run-time systems is based
on a series of plugins to our run-time later (the Open MPI Run-Time
Environment, frequently abbreviated ORTE).

You can find details about creating new plugins (aka "components", in Open MPI
parlance) on this wiki page:

    https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/devel/CreateComponent

Open MPI v1.4 is a continuation of the v1.3 series; you might want to upgrade
to the latest-n-greatest, but it's not strictly necessary if you don't need to.

You probably need to create 2 or 3 components in the 1.3/1.4 series:

- orte/mca/ess: Environment-Specific Services
- orte/mca/plm: Process Launch Manager
- orte/mca/ras: Resource Allocation Subsystem

Look at the corresponding plugin API header file for each framework (i.e.,
orte/mca/ess/ess.h, orte/mca/plm/plm.h, and orte/mca/ras/ras.h) for the details
of what the components of each type need to provide.

Then look at examples provided by the other components -- e.g., if your
internal job scheduler is something like the SLURM model, look at
orte/mca/[ess,plm,ras]/slurm.  If it's something like rsh, then look at
orte/mca/plm/rsh and (I think?) orte/mca/ess/env (there is no RAS module for
rsh because there's no back-end run-time system API that tells OMPI what
hostnames to use).

Does that help?