On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Ralph Castain <r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2011, at 6:12 PM, Joshua Hursey wrote:
>

>> On Jun 9, 2011, at 6:47 PM, George Bosilca wrote:
>>
>>> Well, you're way to trusty. ;)
>>
>> It's the midwestern boy in me :)
>
> Still need to shake that corn out of your head... :-)
>

>>> This only works if all component play the game, and even then there it is
>>> difficult if you want to allow components to deregister themselves in the
>>> middle of the execution. The problem is that a callback will be previous
>>> for some component, and that when you want to remove a callback you have to
>>> inform the "next"  component on the callback chain to change its previous.
>>
>> This is a fair point. I think hiding the ordering of callbacks in the errmgr
>> could be dangerous since it takes control from the upper layers, but,
>> conversely, trusting the upper layers to 'do the right thing' with the
>> previous callback is probably too optimistic, esp. for layers that are not
>> designed together.
>>
>> To that I would suggest that you leave the code as is - registering a
>> callback overwrites the existing callback. That will allow me to replace the
>> default OMPI callback when I am able to in MPI_Init, and, if I need to, swap
>> back in the default version at MPI_Finalize.
>>
>> Does that sound like a reasonable way forward on this design point?
>
> It doesn't solve the problem that George alluded to - just because you
> overwrite the callback, it doesn't mean that someone else won't overwrite you
> when their component initializes. Only the last one wins - the rest of you
> lose.
>
> I'm not sure how you guarantee that you win, which is why I'm unclear how
> this callback can really work unless everyone agrees that only one place gets
> it. Put that callback in a base function of a new error handling framework,
> and then let everyone create components within that for handling desired
> error responses?

Yep, that is a problem, but one that we can deal with in the immediate
case. Since OMPI is the only layer registering the callback, when I
replace it in OMPI I will have to make sure that no other place in
OMPI replaces the callback.

If at some point we need more than one callback above ORTE then we may
want to revisit this point. But since we only have one layer on top of
ORTE, it is the responsibility of that layer to be internally
consistent with regard to which callback it wants to be triggered.

If the layers above ORTE want more than one callback I would suggest
that that layer design some mechanism for coordinating these multiple
- possibly conflicting - callbacks (by the way this is policy
management, which can get complex fast as you add more interested
parties). Meaning that if OMPI wanted multiple callbacks to be active
at the same time, then OMPI would create a mechanism for managing
these callbacks, not ORTE. ORTE should just have one callback provided
to the upper layer, and keep it -simple-. If the upper layer wants to
toy around with something more complex it must manage the complexity
instead of artificially pushing it down to the ORTE layer.

-- Josh