proc_get_epoch( proc );
calls ORTE_NAME_PRINT(proc)
when in debug mode.

When this is the case, ORTE_NAME_PRINT prints all fields of proc, including
epoch. So, proc->epoch = proc_get_epoch(proc) triggers the valgrind warning,
because of the print, in debug mode.
This is the only reason why proc->epoch must be initialized before calling
proc->epoch = proc_get_epoch( proc );

I agree with you it's not a good approach, for coding style / avoiding this
kind of discussions.

Alternative approaches include:
 - having proc_get_epoch have a side effect on proc->epoch instead of returning
the correct epoch value. Assignment can then be done before the debug message.
But this is inconsistent with the rest of the interface used in proc_name_fns;
 - having proc_get_epoch use another helper than ORTE_NAME_PRINT to print the
debug info. But this requires coding an alternative ORTE_SOMETHING_PRINT
function, only for this use;
 - having proc be defined as an opal_object, and set epoch to INVALID (or even
UNSET) into the constructor. This could induce changes at many places, and
there is always the risk that some changes are left incomplete.

Thomas