I think this is a good idea.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the past analyzing timeouts from this set
of tests.  I had to figure out if it was an actual timeout or if the test was
just running very slowly.
In fact, I see that sometime in the past I throttled back the number of
iterations in the loop_spawn.c test for just this reason.

Therefore, I think your idea would be a nice improvement.

Rolf