Actually, if you look closely at the definition of those two values, you'll see
that it really doesn't matter which one we loop over. The NUM_BITS value
defines the actual total number of bits in the mask. The CPU_MAX is the total
number of cpus we can support, which was set to a value such that the two are
equal (i.e., it's a power of two that happens to be an integer multiple of 64).

I believe the original intent was to allow CPU_MAX to be independent of
address-alignment questions, so NUM_BITS could technically be greater than
CPU_MAX. Even if this happens, though, all that would do is cause the loop to
run across more bits than required.

So it doesn't introduce a limitation at all. In hindsight, we could simplify
things by eliminating one of those values and just putting a requirement on the
number that it be a multiple of 64 so it aligns with a memory address.