A comment in the commit suggest that the symbols were not linked  into the
orterun if they were not accessed there. I guess this was the trick to make
sure MPIR_Breakpoint is in there.

Now that you pointed me to this commit I have to disagree with. Why the MPI
debugging symbols have been deleted in favor of using the one on ORTE? Why the
ompi header files contains declarations starting with ORTE_DECLSPEC?

  george.