The problem I see is because FreeBSD-8.2 provides a NEW autotools suite w/ an intentionally ANCIENT config.guess. There is nothing wrong with any of Open MPI's config.foo as packaged in the tarball.

I can work just fine by re-extracting config.guess and config.sub from the tarball after running autogen.sh: $ ./autogen.sh && (cd .. && tar xfj openmpi-1.5.5rc1.tar.bz2 '*/config.guess' '*/config.sub')
So, that is my work-around.

It is NOT something I want you to fret over, but you should be aware that while autogen.sh does enforce minimum versions on autoconf, automake and libtool, it is NOT doing anything to ensure a correspondingly recent config.guess and config.sub. I merely wanted to suggest that if it did so then I would have been alerted before the problem occurred.

Oh, and yes you DO need to re-run autogen after editing a Makefile.am IF your automake is not the same version used by autogen.sh when the tarball was built - a situation most developers don't encounter because you don't start from the tarball as I did. Otherwise, make sees the changed Makefile.am and tries tries to run "[...]/config/missing --run automake-1.11 [args]" which doesn't work if your automake executable isn't automake-1.11. Of course you just need to autogen.sh once to "adapt" to the local automake version. After that initial run, I agree w/ Jeff that Makefile.am edits don't require running autogen.sh.

-Paul