I ran your test case against Open MPI 1.4.2 and CUDA 4.1 RC2 and it worked
fine.  I do not have a machine right now where I can load CUDA 4.0 drivers.
Any chance you can try CUDA 4.1 RC2?  There were some improvements in the
support (you do not need to set an environment variable for one)
 http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-41

There is also a chance that setting the environment variable as outlined in
this link may help you.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=200629

However, I cannot explain why MVAPICH would work and Open MPI would not.

Rolf