On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Denis Nagorny wrote:

> Investigating memory management implementation in OpenMPI I found that opal's
> memory module licensed under Lesser GPL terms.

I assume you're referring to the ptmalloc implementation under
opal/mca/memory/linux, right?

If, so, please read its licensing terms a little closer.

It specifically allows us to include it under the same terms as the overall
package of Open MPI, meaning the modified-BSD-like license in the top-level
LICENSE file.

Specifically, see opal/mca/memory/linux/README-ptmalloc.txt (for the web
archives:
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/browser/trunk/opal/mca/memory/linux/README-ptmalloc2.txt),
 where it says:

-----
As part of the GNU C library, the source files are available under the
GNU Library General Public License (see the comments in the files).
But as part of this stand-alone package, the code is also available
under the (probably less restrictive) conditions described in the file
'COPYRIGHT'.  In any case, there is no warranty whatsoever for this
package.
-----

And for the web archives, the COPYRIGHT file says
(https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/browser/trunk/opal/mca/memory/linux/COPYRIGHT-ptmalloc2.txt):

-----
Copyright (c) 2001-2004 Wolfram Gloger

Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software
and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
provided that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission
notice appear in all copies of the software and related documentation,
and (ii) the name of Wolfram Gloger may not be used in any advertising
or publicity relating to the software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

IN NO EVENT SHALL WOLFRAM GLOGER BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL,
INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY
DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY
OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
-----

Which to my understanding, and the lawyers who have reviewed this, is
compatible with Open MPI's BSD-like licensing.

Obvious disclaimer: IANAL and this is not legal advice.

For corporate legal information go to: