On 2/22/2012 8:53 PM, Jeffrey Squyres wrote:
Terry / Eugene --

Can you comment?
Sorry I cannot.

--td

On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Paul H. Hargrove wrote:

I think I have the beginning of a fix for this issue.

I had not even noticed earlier that the error in event.h is from the C++ compiler, when
compiling file.cxx in the c++ bindings.  That makes the vendor-specific addition of
"-library=stlport4" to CXXFLAGS quite relevant to the problem/solution.

It eventually occurred to me that when VT's sub-configure told me to add
configure arguments, I could have used --with-contrib-vt-flags to pass that
ONLY to VT and perhaps NOT mess with whatever karma was providing the
definition of u_char.  However, when I tried that I was disappointed to find
that the bit of configure logic that suggests/requires
CXXFLAGS=-library=stlport4 (from ompi/contrib/vt/configure.m4) runs BEFORE the
processing of --with-contrib-vt-flags.  So, that was a dead end.

So, the next idea was to look for a fix specific to sltport.  I tried adding
near the top of opal/event/event.h (after the WINDOWS equivalent):
#ifdef STLPORT
typedef unsigned char u_char;
#endif
That managed to clear up the original problem w/ SS12.2.
With SS12.3, things also built fine.
This suggests the typedef is not "conflicting" with whatever other defn was
present.
I think the "safety" of this needs to be examined more widely before this can
be adopted.
My concern is that some system could "typedef char u_char" if it has char
unsigned by default, leading to a conflict.
Now that would, I suppose, only be a problem if STLPORT is also defined.
So, maybe I am over thinking this.

-Paul