The 1.6 branch is a stable series - no new features will be added to it, so
your patch won't be going there. I'd focus solely on the trunk.

What you're doing with he RAS is fine for now. In the next few days, I'll be
changing the API to the RAS components, but it isn't a big change and we can
adjust as you get closer. The orte_job_t object does contain the number of
procs to be launched prior to the RAS being invoked, but you have to compute
it. Each app_context contains that number - so to get it for the job, you cycle
across all the app_contexts and add it up.

The mapper assigns the final num_procs value in the orte_job_t object. We do
this because the user can also run the job without specifying the number of
procs, and we'll simply run one proc for every allocated slot. It's a popular
option, but wouldn't work here for obvious reasons.