I wrote up the whole description in the Wiki a long while ago because there was
a lot of confusion about
how things should behave with a resource manager.   The general thought was
that folks thought of hostfile
and host as a filter when running with a resource manager.

I never wrote anything about the case you are describing, with the hostfile
filtering the default hostfile.
I would have assumed that the precedence of hostfile that you desire would be
the way things work.
Therefore, I am fine if we change it with respect to default hostfile and
hostfile.

The wiki reference is here: https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/HostFilePlan