Cool - it doesn't actually increase modularity or anything. The goal wasn't to
generalize things very much, but rather to provide a way to use different
ORTE-like versions - e.g., if you want to use PMI without any of the rest of
the ORTE support, or if you want to attach a fault tolerant version of ORTE.

Any RTE capable of providing the required functionality for modex and barrier
should be okay, though they might require some ugliness in their rte component
for the integration.