On 5/22/13 9:35 AM, "Ralph Castain" <r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:

>* this isn't about Craig and his abilities - this is a more general
>requirements discussion. I personally wouldn't change my comments if it
>was Jeff or Brian making the request - the issue remains the same.
>Introducing another language requirement on the
> user-level build isn't a minor issue. Just because someone knows a
>language seems a weak argument - I had to learn perl to work on the build
>system too. The differences aren't that huge, and the barrier isn't that
>high.

What Ralph said.  My objections are largely to introducing another
language dependency (we should strive to keep these as small in number as
possible).  As I said, I'm strongly against using Python in the build
system (unless we replace all Perl with Python, which I doubt anyone wants
to deal with).  I have a slight preference for not using non-Bourne Shell
things in the configure / make stages, but that's not anywhere near as
strong as the dislike of adding new languages to support in the build
system.

Brian

--
  Brian W. Barrett