On Jul 16, 2013, at 23:11 , "David Goodell (dgoodell)" <dgood...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2013, at 4:03 PM, George Bosilca <bosi...@icl.utk.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 16, 2013, at 22:29 , Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, it can -- it has to be the largest integer type (i.e., it even has to
>>> be able to handle an MPI_Offset).
>>
>> Technicalities! In the entire standard MPI_Offset is only used to access
>> files, not to build datatypes. As such there is no way to have the extent of
>> an datatype bigger than MPI_Aint.
>
> That's not true.  You can obtain a datatype with an extent outside the range
> of an MPI_Aint by nesting types.  Just create a config of size 1, then create
> a type a very large extent from your contig with MPI_Type_create_resized,
> then create a second contig of that resized with a count >1.

Sure. But the only reason you create such a nested type is to access files
(otherwise you can't go over the MPI_Aint boundary safely). Thus I would have
expected the limit to be similar to MPI_Offset and not a new type MPI_Count …

Oh I see now. MPI_Aint is the largest difference in memory and MPI_Offset is
the largest difference for files. Thus, MPI_Count is the largest of the two, so
it can adapt in all cases. I'm happy with this conclusion … Thanks everyone.

  George.