On Jul 18, 2013, at 5:46 AM, George Bosilca <bosi...@icl.utk.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2013, at 20:15 , "Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)" <jsquy...@cisco.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Nathan Hjelm <hje...@lanl.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> As Ralph suggested you need to pass the --level or -l option to see all the
>>> variables. --level 9 will print everything. If you think there are
>>> variables everyday users should see you are welcome to change them to
>>> OPAL_INFO_LVL_1. We are trying to avoid moving too many variables to this
>>> info level.
>>
>> I think George might have a point here, though.  He was specifically asking
>> about the --all option, right?
>>
>> I think it might be reasonable for "ompi_info --all" to actually show *all*
>> MCA params (up through level 9).
>
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> I'm totally puzzled by the divergence in opinion in this community on the
> word ALL. ALL like in "every single one of them", not like in "4 poorly
> chosen MCA arguments that I don't even know how to care about".

I don't think there is a divergence of opinion on this - I think it was likely
a programming oversight. I certainly would agree that all should operate that
way.

>> Thoughts?
>
> Give back to the word ALL it's original meaning: "the whole quantity or
> extent of a group".

>>> I think ompi_info has always shown all the variables despite what you have
>>> the selection variable set (at least in some cases). We now just display
>>> everything in all cases. An additional benefit to the updated code is that
>>> if you set a selection variable through the environment
>>> (OMPI_MCA_btl=self,sm) it no longer appears as unset in ompi_info. The old
>>> code unset all selection variables in order to ensure all parameters got
>>> printed (very annoying but necessary).
>
> Ralph comment above is not accurate. Prior to this change (well the one from
> few weeks ago), explicitly forbidden components did not leave traces in the
> MCA parameters list. I validate this with the latest stable.

FWIW: that wasn't my comment

>> Yes, I think I like this new behavior better, too.
>>
>> Does anyone violently disagree?
>
> Yes. This behavior means the every single MPI process out there will 1) load
> all existing .so components, and 2) will give them a chance to leave
> undesired traces in the memory of the application. So first we generate an
> increased I/O traffic, and 2) we use memory that shouldn't be used. We can
> argue about the impact of all this, but from my perspective what I see is
> that Open MPI is doing it when explicit arguments to prevent the usage of
> these component were provided.

That's a good point, and a bad behavior. IIRC, it results from the MPI Forum's
adoption of the MPI-T requirement that stipulates we must allow access to all
control and performance variables at startup so they can be externally
seen/manipulated. I guess the question is: does that truly mean "all" per your
proposed definition, or "all that fall within the pre-given MCA directives on
components"?