Note that according to http://www.ohloh.net/p/openmpi, OMPI is over 3/4M lines
of code.  I doubt you will be able to get a thorough understanding of *all* of
OMPI in a semester or two -- indeed, I doubt that any one Open MPI core
developer has a thorough understanding of the whole code base (I know I don't!).

I don't say these things to discourage you; I actually just want to encourage
you to set realistic expectations for what you'll be able to do.

Are there any particular areas that you'd like to focus on?  MPI -- and the
Open MPI implementation -- covers a *lot* of different subsystems and concepts.