My $0.02USD:

I agree that "just keep the bar high" for 1.7.4 is the right approach.
In other words: just because I found all these issues doesn't mean they
should delay 1.7.4.
Considering most (possibly all) were in 1.7.3 and nobody noticed, what harm
in leaving the issue unresolved in 1.7.4?
If my help is needed to determine if a given issue was in 1.7.3 then just
ask.

For those who don't know me, or have forgotten:

I am not an MPI applications programmer or user, nor do I admin systems for
people who are.
If every single issue I reported were to be ignored and never fixed, it
would not harm me in any way.
I will push back if I ever think the core developers are making poor
choices, but have no reason to "fight" for any particular issue to be fixed.

I am a middleware developer who happens to have access to an exceptionally
wide range of systems and compilers.
I use those resources to work hard to ensure portability of my own s/w.
Having known Jeff and Brian since the LAM/MPI days I occasionally apply my
resources and knowledge to testing of Open MPI release candidates.

-Paul