For Open MPI:
 - Primary: Mercurial (hosted on BitBucket - better deal for academia)
 - Secondary: Git (hosted on either BitBucket or GitHub)
 - SVN only to commit back

For other projects:
 - SVN - Becoming less commonly used, but still used for some projects like
Open MPI
 - Mercurial and Git - equally for various projects.

Teaching students SCM, Git is probably the most difficult since the initial
learning curve is steeper than Mercurial, and they can easily get turned
around with some of the more complex features they find on their own. SVN
is the easiest to teach, but the most restrictive and requires dedicated a
hosting server in the department.

We are having a similar discussion in our department at the moment
regarding which SCM system we should expose students to in the upper level
courses. Currently, we have started (past year and a half) using Git in at
least 2 classes. Previously, students were not really exposed to SCM except
if they did some independent research. It is too early to tell how
successful that has been.

-- Josh

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com