George,

i am sorry i cannot see how flatten datatype can be helpful here :-(

in this example, the master must broadcast a long vector. this datatype
is contiguous
so the flatten'ed datatype *is* the type provided by the MPI application.

how would pipelining happen in this case (e.g. who has to cut the long
vector into pieces and how) ?

should a temporary buffer be used ? and then should it be sent into
pieces of type MPI_PACKED ?
(and if yes, would this be safe in an heterogenous communicator ?)

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Gilles