Dear all,

the Score-P community is currently in the process to support the OpenSHMEM API in its performance measurement infrastructure Score-P [1]. And we are near a release of a new major version of it. Now that Open MPI also provides an OpenSHMEM implementation, we extended our testing also to the new 1.8 version of Open MPI. We already submitted some bug reports while we are working on this, but the last one isn't really a bug though:

The OpenSHMEM standard does not include the shmem_finalize API, though Open MPI provides one and also ensures (via the destructor attribute) that this function is called in the end. But when a performance monitor like Score-P intercepts the library calls via weak symbols we finally need to call the original function too. As the user is free to call this function itself, but Score-P still needs the parallel context to finalize the measurement after exiting main, we need to intercept shmem_finalize and call the real shmem_finalize after we are done. But unfortunately we can't call the original shmem_finalize as there is no pshmem_finalize in Open MPI. But without finalizing the Open MPI library orterun will report errors because the application did not call shmem_finalize.

So our pledge to the Open MPI community is to provide the pshmem_finalize symbol, even though this function is not (yet) in the OpenSHMEM standard.

Sincerely,
Bert Wesarg

[1] http://www.vi-hps.org/projects/score-p

--
Dipl.-Inf. Bert Wesarg
wiss. Mitarbeiter

Technische Universität Dresden
Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen (ZIH)
01062 Dresden
Tel.: +49 (351) 463-42451
Fax: +49 (351) 463-37773
E-Mail: Bert.Wesarg@tu-dresden.