There seems to be a consensus on the fact that closing an fd should trigger the
return from poll. Unfortunately this assumption is wrong, and not condoned by
any documentation available online.

To be more clear, all documentation I know tend to point in the opposite
direction: it is unwise to close a socket some other thread is polling onto. As
an example on the Linux close man page there is a warning about this usage:
> It is probably unwise to close file descriptors while they may be in use by
> system calls in other threads in the same process. Since a file descriptor
> may be reused, there are some obscure race conditions that may cause
> unintended side effects.

Extra info available at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10561602/closing-a-file-descriptor-that-is-being-polled

  George.