The bfo PML is mostly a duplicate of the ob1 PML but with extra code to handle
failover when running with a cluster with multiple IB NICs.   A few
observations.
1. Almost no one uses the bfo PML.  I have kept it around just in case someone
thinks about failover again.
2. The code where you are saying there is a leak is a duplicate of what is in
ob1.  So if memory is not supposed to be allocated in the "open" call, then
this is an issue for the ob1 PML as well.

So, we could go forward in a few ways.
1. Just apply your first patch as that seems to fit what Ralph is saying.  And
leave ob1 alone.
2. Fix it in both bfo and ob1.  But needs more testing as ob1 is critical.

Rolf